5 Şubat 2008 Salı

Laser Hair Removal :: Appointment #4


Alas! An update for my 4th laser hair removal appointment. It happened in February, which is just when I quit my day job and started working for The Woman (me!), so I've been in the exciting time suckage of entrepenuria. (see my first launched website, as my accessories business, Katie James, has expanded to include website design).The most important answer of all: I am still shaving. Argh! It's true. The hair is going away, though. I can tell because there is an area that I've decided I want gone, and it's not as caught up as the other parts, so there is a visible difference. So at least it's working. And I'm finding solace in the fact that if after 6 appointments the hair is not totally dead and wiped off the planet, I can go back for 2 years.

I do still get a few ingrowns, but they are most likely last attempts at being totally annoying. I started lasering in the summer. July, actually. So I've spent most of the winter undergoing the laser hair removal treatments. The summer, I think, is when ingrowns come more often.

The fourth appointment, strangely, did hurt more than the others. I could feel the laser more. Mind you - I am fair skinned with dark leg hair. I'm an American Mut, so if I was Syrian, like my good friend Dental Mista, I might experience more pain. The estheticians have claimed to have turned the laser up to full blast in the past, but I'm thinking that they couldn't have, since this time was the strongest I had felt it.

Speaking of Dental Mista, she had her 4th, and last, appointment with her dermatologist. Dental Mista was in a lot of pain. She is Syrian, so while she is fair skinned (when not tan), her hair is pretty coarse. Her dermatologist's laser package was a pack of 4 appointments. Her hair is not gone, and she does need to go in for more. My hair is not gone, but I have 2 appointments left, plus this 2 year extension (providing they live up to their word). I do have a friend, we'll call her Dog Park Mista, who did have success in killing all of the hair follicals on her legs, but it did extend beyond 6 appointments. It was not with American Laser Centers.

I think it all has to do with the thickness of hair. My lighter pieces have been the first to go. And by lighter I mean not super coarse. For example, I do have lighter hairs on my love trial. Those are pretty much gone now. The fifth appointment is in April. I promise I will not wait so long to post!
Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for doing this! I had an appt. with American laser this weekend, and while there prices were higher than other places in the area (I live in LA), the guarantee really drew me in since I am tan-skinned with dark, coarse hair and will likely need more than 6 appointments. Anyway, its disappointing to hear you are still shaving :-( I was hoping, like the saleswoman assured, that after 3 treatments, I would be left with light stragglers. Oh well, I guess in a year I will be happy I did it. Keep posting!Glad I could help! Maybe try not to get as tan before the appointments so that the laser can really find your hair (it's attracted to dark pigment or something). Living in NYC, I have no fear of being too tan :) although I wish I could, especially when these appointments are over. Good luck!Jessica81 said... Thank you for the detailed laser hair removal entries. I am going through the same process and it is interesting to read about other people's experiences.Do you know what kind of laser you are using? The old one and the new one? I had heard that American Laser Center didn't use real lasers, but IPLs. Maybe the change in technology meant a switch to lasers?

I am being treated with the Candela GentleLase. It is only good for light skin patients. There is not gel to apply before the treatment. It just zaps and then sprays a cool liquid. The liquid is very light and you can't really feel it.

It is painful!! My first two treatments weren't painful, then I found out the settings were too low.

I've had about 50% hair reduction after 4 treatments. I have a package of 8, with 1 year free from Ideal Image. (Ideal Image is know for high prices) My package for brazilian, upper-lip and underarms was $3,000.

If you are interested in my progress I kept a journal with pictures at www.laserhairremovaljournal.comMista said... I'm pretty sure that American Laser Centers uses a laser. It is referred to as a laser, and there is a beam of light coming out of it like it is a laser, I have to wear green goggles like it's a laser, and the cool gel that is like what you get when you have an ultrasound I have not doubt is there to help the laser do its work.

Mista said...

I'm pretty sure that American Laser Centers uses a laser. It is referred to as a laser, and there is a beam of light coming out of it like it is a laser, I have to wear green goggles like it's a laser, and the cool gel that is like what you get when you have an ultrasound I have not doubt is there to help the laser do its work.

Not only that, but American Laser Centers is called American LASER Centers, so, that would be very oxymoronic if they did not user lasers...you know? Quite sue-able.

My office uses the new laser. The first one or two appointments I had was the older laser. Then they switched. I think it might even be more powerful because it felt stronger, as I had previously had the highest settings.

All laser works best on light skin with dark hair. The light of the laser is attracted to dark pigmant, which is your hair, so it's best to have light skin so that the laser can see the dark hair. Luckily I'm not able to tan that often!

Doubtful Customer said...

Mista,

Jennifer is correct. Unfortunately, the technicians at ALC, from my experience, only half way know what they are talking about when it comes to the machines (and who knows what else!). One of the machines American Laser Centers uses, the Amerilight, is an IPL, which is not a true laser. Their Amerilaser however, is a true laser. Both these machines are made by Syneron. The Amerilight is the elight by Syneron - you can read more here: http://www.syneron.com/Solutions/Clinical_Results/FAQs/eLight.html. The Amerilaser is the elaser by Snyeron. If you google all these keywords, you will find this information to be true.

However, knowing what I know of their machines, I am still hopeful that I will still achieve results. I have had two treatments so far, and interestingly enough, I had excellent shedding results with the IPL (the Amerilight)!! I only got about 30% reduction from the Amerilaser - the true laser, a "diode" laser in fact! I have very fair skin and dark hair, although not overly course. For my third appt. I will switch back to the Amerilight. When I am finished with all treatments, I am hoping to have only a few stray hairs. Somehow though... I'm afraid I may have wasted my money with this company.

I will NOT pay for another package though if I decide to get more treatments in other areas. I believe you are treated better if you pay as you go. My experience with ALC has not been a good one - they use lasers other than the ones stated in the contract, have technicians that are only partially knowledgeable, refuse to refund your money even if you have yet to have a treatment, and well... seem really to just care about making money. Their customer service has been poor, and the people high up in the company, like the regional manager, Hannah, is the worst I've ever dealt with when it comes to customer service. I believe in integrity and in treating people with respect and fairness. Unfortunately, American Laser Centers doesn't appear to believe in these same things. :(

In the end... it's just money, right? In the meantime, I'm giving ALC the benefit of the doubt, will keep pretending that everything is fine when I go to my appointments, and will hope for the best. Best of luck to you all as well.

Hiç yorum yok: